You might be thinking - how can I sell my home faster? While staged homes usually sell much faster, staging can be costly. Instead of spending a ton of money on expensive updates and professional staging, check out these 8 affordable ways to make your home more attractive to potential buyers. If a home is more attractive to buyers, that means a quicker sell!
A fresh coat of paint on the walls, doors, and trim can make your home feel new, clean and well-maintained - things buyer's look for in a home! Even more, a newly painted interior is something your real estate will put in the listing description to help attract more buyers from the start.
And don't forget about the outside - we're not talking about repainting the whole exterior yourself, but a fresh coat of paint on the front door can do wonders!
2. Update Cabinet Hardware, Lights, & Fixtures
New hardware can be a game-changer in kitchens & bathrooms, and even better, it's an affordable fix! Also, adding new light fixtures (pendants, chandeliers, wall mounts, etc) can make a home feel updated and inviting. You can find affordable hardware & fixtures on WayFair.com & at Home Depot!
3. Clean & Declutter
This is FREE (if you do it yourself)! Cleaning your own home will save you money, and will help make a good first impression with potential buyers. You also must declutter! When potential buyers see your home, they don't want to see "stuff" everywhere. They want to see open, clean, tidy spaces and rooms they can picture their own things in!
Declutter by taking down and storing away your personal items, including (but not limited to):
- Family photos
- Children's artwork and toys
- Toiletries left on bathroom counters, bedside tables, and dressers
- Piles of papers left in kitchens, office spaces, (and anywhere else!)
- Messy wardrobes, clothes, & shoes - a good time to clean out the closet and donate clothes you don't want or need anymore!
While you're decluttering, also start organizing and storing things away - this will help with your own move! If you feel like you don't have enough space to store all your things out of sight, consider renting a storage unit. Small storage units have affordable monthly rates and can help you clear out your home without stuffing everything in closets, garages, and basements!
4. Spruce up the outside
Let's face it, curb appeal matters! When buyers pull up to your house, they want to see a clean exterior. Make sure you mow the lawn regularly, and ensure the yard is clean and free of debris, weeds, and unsightly brush! There are some very affordable trimmers at Home Depot for those who want to take the extra step in making the exterior look great!
Adding a few plants and pops of color (flowers) can also go a long way! It's always ideal to get a good first impression from potential buyers.
5. Power Wash!
We all know what a good power wash can do! Make your outdoor areas look new again by power washing decks, porches, siding, sheds, walkways, driveways, etc. This will add to the home's curb appeal and make a good first impression with potential buyers! And let's be honest, power washing can be fun, right?!
6. Bring the outside, inside!
Adding plants inside can help make a home feel "staged" and more inviting. It's also extremely trendy to have air-purifying plants inside your home these days, so plants will make potential buyers feel comfortable and homey.
If you don't want to take care of a bunch of plants, choose easy-to-maintain, resilient plants like succulents, spider plants, snake plants, or fig trees.
7. Hang Mirrors
Mirrors make rooms feel bigger! Placing mirrors strategically in your home (especially in smaller rooms) can make the room feel much more spacious.
Hang bigger mirrors on large, empty walls, and add a few smaller accent mirrors for show! You can find very affordable mirrors and accent mirrors at Marshall's, HomeGoods, or TJ MAXX.
8. Do-It-Yourself Staging!
Professional staging can be costly, but that doesn't mean you can't make your home look great! Check out these affordable DIY staging tips you can do on your own:
- Rearrange your furniture to show SPACE
- Open window treatments & blinds to show as much natural light as possible
- Place succulents and smaller plants in bathrooms and on shelves and bedside tables
- Place herbs in the kitchen, a fruit basket, & a few other decor items (store away any unsightly coffee machines, microwaves, toaster ovens, etc)
- Clear your personal things and only keep decor - think about your home as a display!
- Repaint old bathroom vanities (and you can even paint bathroom tile for an additional wow factor!) - Check out this before and after bathroom update - no professionals needed: